Finding the right type of addiction rehab program is never going to be an easy task. There are so many options to consider, but you need to ensure that you consider all available options and then determine what suits you the most. Ideally, you should ask several questions before selecting a rehab addiction center, but you should never forget to inquire about two important things before finalizing your decision.
Ask if the program specializes in your addiction
When it comes to selecting an addiction rehab center, you should never make a decision unless you are sure that the center specializes in your addiction. You need to understand that different abused substances have different withdrawal and recovery processes. The experts who are going to help you manage your addiction should be trained to tackle complications that may arise during the treatment. Someone dealing with alcohol addiction will have to go through a different detox phase as compared to someone recovering from stimulant addiction. Therefore, it is important to opt for a program that focuses specifically on your particular addiction. Keep in mind that most of these treatment centers address general addiction and substance abuse, but you are likely to get good results by opting for a center that specializes in particular addictions.
Ask about the types of treatments available
You have to understand that different addiction rehab centers have their own recovery philosophies. Some treatment centers put their emphasis on following a harm-reduction approach because it is likely to help with long-term recovery. Other treatment centers require you to stay away from alcohol or drugs entirely. Moreover, different treatment centers are going to offer different types of treatments. For instance:
- They may offer a 12-step treatment plan to help you move in the right direction. The treatment plan helps you recover with a spiritual touch as well.
- They may offer cognitive behavioral therapy to help you change your thought pattern about drugs and alcohol. The therapy helps you learn refusal skills that go a long way in keeping you from experiencing a relapse.
- Motivation interviewing is another common treatment option, which is based on motivating you internally so you could understand the importance of living a sober life.
- Some addiction rehab centers rely on evidence-based treatment. It means that look for the most effective treatment options backed by scientific research to help you get rid of your addiction.
- Contingency management may also work for some patients. It is often used in conjunction with other treatment approaches and helps you stay motivated by offering prizes for meeting goals.
In addition, you will also find some rehab centers offer other options, such as community reinforcement, adjunct therapy, and matrix model. All the approaches have their own set of benefits. Therefore, you should learn which one is going to help you the most.
The fact of the matter is that you can certainly select an addiction rehab center at random, but it is better to ask certain questions before taking the plunge. Asking the abovementioned questions will help you select a center that specializes in your addiction and helps you live a sober life.